FSG Master Tradesperson 4 (Marine Pipe Welder)
HII FLEET SUPPORT GROUP (0480)
External Job Description
**$1,000 Sign on bonus available upon successful completion of welding qualifications testing.
The selected candidate will be supporting our Marine Services Division working/leading on the deck plates building, installing, repairing and maintaining high energy piping to assist with alterations and installs for fleet modernization on various contracts such as Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Space & Naval Warfare Systems Command and Naval Surface Warfare Center. The selected candidate will be required to travel to shipyards and military bases located around the country when not assigned to a local task. Per diem available based on location when on travel, travel and lodging expenses are covered by the company. There is potential to work up to 20 hours overtime a week.
Position Specifics: Candidates must have the following to qualify for this position.
• Must have in depth knowledge and experience in planning, layout, cutting, fitting, assembly and pipe welding
• Must have six (6) years’ experience in pipe welding or related trade with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience in tungsten inert gas welding (Tig/GTAW) experience in installation, maintenance, and repair of high energy piping systems onboard marine vessels.
• Must have thorough knowledge of pipefitting equipment, sizes and schedules
• Must be able to rip out, repair, target, layout, fabricate, install and test marine piping systems onboard ships in various stages of repair and modernization
• Must be able to perform pipe welding requirements to 6G
• Must be able to create weldments, utilizing a variety of procedures, which must pass visual (VT), magnetic particle (MT), liquid penetrant (LPT), and/or radiographic inspections (RT), as appropriate
• Must be able to fabricate mockup, targets or fixtures to increase quality and production.
• Must be able to repair and replace ships' piping systems such as Auxiliary Salt Water, Fire Main, Potable Water, Hydraulic, Compressed Air, Fuel Oil, Lube Oil, Engine Exhaust, and Steam.
• Must be able to test installed systems utilizing hydrostatic or other comparable pressure testing means for system integrity after repairs or installation
• Must be able to certify braze Grade III, IV and V filler material in all joint positions
• Must have strong knowledge of NAVSEA/Military Standards
• Must have strong Knowledge of Marine Blueprint reading and interpretation, with the ability to interpret sketches and drawings to develop specifications for product to be fabricated and/or installed
• Must have strong procedural knowledge of pipe welding.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a secret clearance and base access/credentials.
• Must be able to travel 50% of the time.
Master understanding of production and processes. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. May provide direction and lead others. May manage one or more multiple jobs. Completes comprehension of specialty trades functions and tools. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. May perform quality inspections on finished product. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
114 - FSG MMTS - 11407 - HM&E
US Citizenship Required for this Position
No relocation assistance available
High School Diploma/GED
Yes, 50% of the time
HS education or Trade School + 6 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
•Candidates that hold a Technical Skills Training Certification or Diploma related to pipe welding and/or are graduates of Apprenticeships or Military Specialty School Training for pipe welding or pipefitting are preferred
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Integrated Missions Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs nearly 37,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.