Marine Alteration Installer Asst. (Trades Assistant) - 4485
Location: Chesapeake, VA, US, 23320
Company: HII's TSD
When a U.S. Navy ship needs repairs, they call us. Join our Marine Services Operation (MSO) as we keep the most powerful Navy the world has known afloat and ready to serve. MSO trades teams provide expert solutions on shipboard alterations & installations for fleet modernization. The selected candidate will be supporting MSO by performing general labor, unskilled tasks and work closely with higher level employees on specialized assignments to assist with alteration and installation for fleet modernization. When not assigned to local tasking the trades teams travel to shipyards and military bases located around country and out of the continental United States to complete contracted work. Per diem available based on location when on travel, travel and lodging expenses are covered by the company. #LI-MJ1
*This position requires business travel. HII policy requires that all employees must be complete with their COVID vaccination to engage in business travel.
What you will do
• Assists workers in the skilled maintenance trades.
• Performs specific or general duties of lesser skill, such as supplying or holding materials and tools; cleaning working area, machine, and equipment; and performing other unskilled tasks as directed.
• Performs maintenance and minor repairs to various machines under supervision.
• May make local pick up and deliveries of supplies and company equipment and material, paint, lag, surface preparation and minor facilities maintenance.
• Check and return tools from tool room. Assists in receipt and inventory of material, tools and equipment.
• Will perform other related duties as assigned.
What you must have
• Must have a High School Diploma/equivalent.
• Must have experience with basic hand tools
• Must have experience working in a team environment.
• Must have ability to follow safety protocols and procedures.
• Must be able to provide own hand tools.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret Clearance.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a DBIDS/CAC badge for base access/credentials.
• Must be willing to travel when not assigned to a local tasking.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Preferred: Bonus points for...
• Knowledge and/or experience in a trades specialty (i.e. mechanical, electrical, welding, HVAC, fitting) preferred.
• Candidates who are currently enrolled or have graduated from and/or completed a vocational school or skilled trades certificate program within the last two years are preferred.
• Prior firewatch training or experience preferred.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical manuals and/or related technical documents a plus
• Knowledge/ability of using various mechanical industrial tools such as precision measuring instruments, minor rigging equipment, portable power units and mechanical fastening devices or equivalent a plus.
• OSHA 10 Maritime Certification a plus
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Most work is performed aboard ships or in industrial conditions. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
Building on a legacy of more than a century of naval shipbuilding, Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries provides mission-critical solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide. Comprising nearly 6,000 professionals in 45 states and 16 countries, our unique national security services portfolio includes unmanned systems, defense and federal solutions, and nuclear and environmental services. For more information, visit tsd.huntingtoningalls.com.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division supports national security missions around the globe with unmanned systems, nuclear and environmental services, and defense and federal solutions. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 42,000 people operating both domestically and internationally. For more information, visit: www.huntingtoningalls.com.
A new Federal Executive Order requires that employees of Federal contractors and subcontractors be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by January 4, 2022. Accordingly, as a condition of employment with Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries, employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption prior to starting employment.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.