To manage, plan and implement safety polices and procedures in compliance with company and local Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Provide management with information and safety solutions to achieve Lyon Shipyard mission and provide a safe work environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Provide guidance and research for any safety related topics.
2. Qualify employees on yard equipment operation, conducting safety orientation
briefs or other required courses.
3. Enforce OSHA rules, NAVSEA Standards, and company policies in order to
maintain a safety culture and a safe working environment.
4. Provide feedback and answers to OSHA violations during informal or formal
5. Reviews safety files, records, OSHA 300 logs and all accident reports and
submit recommendations to upper management in accordance with Maritime
6. Work diligently to update and annually review our safety programs both
commercial and government. Develop new programs as required by OSHA or
company to improve our processes to prevent hazards and injuries.
7. Perform regular safety inspections both commercial and government vessels
and provide reports for safety discrepancies to inform shop Foreman/Leadmen
and Superintendents. In addition to vessel inspections, shop inspections are
conducted to identify hazards and inform any discrepancies found.
8. Attend weekly management meetings and monthly Superintendents
9. Attend the Virginia Ship Repair Association (VSRA) safety and hazmat
10. Conduct and/or coordinate safety training to include HAZCOM, First Aid,
CPR, AED, and Respirator Fit testing and Confined Space for all personnel.
11. Plan and implement work site safety practices, compliance concerns
including preventative actions to personnel.
12. Improve safety thought processes by direct, influence, recommending to upper
management and middle management to change work habits.
13. Empowering safety acts on individuals behalf to improve awareness.
14. Follows up on corrected safety discrepancies to ensure that all measures
have been implemented.
15. Conduct post accident investigation reviews and schedule safety stand-
downs. Approves prepare reports to identify possible accident root causes
and hazards to prevent reoccurrence. Distribute controls to management to
implement approved changes.
16. Create risk assessments to identify hazards and develop requirements in
relation to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
17. Observe Lyon Shipyard Safety Committee
18. Conduct spontaneous and scheduled safety training to all personnel.
19. Supports Vice President of Production. Ensuring company employees, as
well as temporary employees are following established rules and regulations.
20. Reports to President of Lyon Shipyard all department enforced policies,
sustained safe work practices, and operations to eliminate accidents that
result in death, injury, illness, environmental concerns and damage to
company or customers property.
1. Safety Capacity.
2. Customer/Client Focus.
3. Ethical Conduct.
4. Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
6. Attention to Detail
This position manages all employees of the safety department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring. As well as the training and the safety initiatives for the entire shipyard.
This job operates in a professional office environment as well as heights, confined and enclosed spaces, and other dangerous atmospheres in the shipyard industry. This includes changing climate conditions whether indoors or out.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the shipyard work environment can be loud.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Routinely, there will be a need for the incumbent to work/walk Lyon shipyard and all areas therein.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
POSITION TYPE/ EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. This position periodically requires long hours and weekend work.
Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function and a prerequisite to perform other essential functions of the position.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. A bachelor’s degree and, or four to ten years’ experience in the Safety field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education based on requirements that are job-related and consistent with the business necessity.
1. Safety experience in the shipyard industry.
2. Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
3. Must be able to pass a background check and possess or obtain Rapid Gate
or TWIC identification.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS
None required for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and continues to be, a fundamental principle at Lyon Shipyard, Inc. It is the company's policy that opportunities be available to all persons without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, citizenship status, or any other category protected under state or local law.
This policy applies to employees and applicants and to all phases of employment including hiring, promotion, demotion, treatment during employment, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, and termination of employment.
Lyon Shipyard is proud to be a drug free workplace.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.