BAE Systems Norfolk Ship Repair is hiring a Craft Supervisor in the Pipe Shop. The applicant will be responsible for overseeing Pipe Shop (regular and temporary employees), assigning work on multiple assignments during a workday and monitoring progress onboard vessels.
Job Description :
The selected candidate will be providing technical assistance and oversee the workforce assign to them. Ensure that appropriate actions are taken to support the timely and cost effective completion of assigned tasks. Ensure the Pipe Shop employees assign to them are in compliance/enforcement of company policies, procedures and the requirements of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
• Ensuring that the Shop is pursuing Companygoals for Safety, Quality and Productivity.
• Developing and/or reviewingproject schedules and budgets during the planning phase.
• Allocating personneland resources to efficiently support all contracts (including shift work).
•Overseeing and monitoring schedule performance, including review of ongoing andupcoming projects, investigation of late activities, project supervision, andthe development of practical solutions.
• Monitoring and evaluating projectbudget performance, including review of ongoing and upcoming projects,development of productivity enhancements and investigation of over-budgetitems.
• Monitoring productivity across all shifts, including the amount andtype of work assigned as well as the quality and quantity of work accomplished.
• Performing personnel related functions including, but not limited to, thesupervision of employees, performance management, workforce reductions,promotions, demotions and discipline.
• Ensuring that employees understand andadhere to Company policies.
• Training and motivating employees in the areas oftechnical knowledge, safety, environmental and communication.
• Ensuring that requirements of the labor agreement are satisfied. The required skills and qualifications vary depending on the Shop and Supervisor position, but generally include:
• High school or equivalent degree. • Must have a minimum of5 years’ experience in the trade.
• Demonstrated technical knowledge in the relevant trade.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule, supervise, and direct the work of other employees in the relevant trade or industry.
• Ability to use discretion and judgment in making operations and personnel decisions.
•Proficient computer skills required including experience with Microsoft Office programs and similar software.
NOTE: The following description is a GENERAL Overview of this career and not a description of a particular job posting.
Pipefitters are typically tasked with installing and maintaining high and low pressure pipe systems, supports, and related equipment aboard waterborne or Naval vessels. A pipefitter is often required to lay out and fabricate full-scale pipe systems (including fire or sprinkler systems) prior to installation using blueprints and templates. Pipefitters must be familiar with the use of basic shop tools and machinery such as grinders, power and hand cutters, presses, bending machines, die and pipe threading machines. Pipefitters also must be familiar with various pipe joining techniques such as soldering, welding, and brazing.
Most pipefitter careers require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, and/or an associate's degree. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is typically required.