2427 Ingleside Road
Norfolk, VA 23513
NOTE: The following description is a GENERAL Overview of this career and not a description of a particular job posting.
An outside machinist performs major and specialized mechanical overhaul and repair work on marine equipment and systems using schematic charts and technical manuals. Also tests marine engines and equipment to determine need for repairs or adjustments, repairs and maintains hydraulic equipment and valves, operates hand and power tools associated with marine engine and equipment repair. A mechanic assists in fabrication of equipment, purchases parts and supplies, as well as writes specifications for and recommends purchase of marine equipment.
Category: Outside Machinist
NOTE: The following descriptions is a GENERAL OVERVIEW of this career, and not a description of a particular job posting.
An outside machinist installs and repairs equipment, sets up and handles manufacturing machinery and ensures that production equipment is adequate and functional. The machinist also operates machines manually or through control mechanisms, inspects equipment and materials and communicates with co-workers, subordinates and superiors.
An Outside Machinist's typical duties include:
- Disassembling or dismantling valves or pumps, inspecting for wear and assessing replacement need, then re-assembling
- Installing stanchions and hand rails for gratings and ladders
- Installing piping for steam, exhaust, suction, discharge, heating, and/or refrigeration
- Dismantling, inspecting and repairing deck machinery, main engines, generator governors, and/or turbines
- Running horizontal and vertical lines for alignment of engines
- Overhauling and repairing refrigerating machinery
Most outside machinist careers require a high school diploma, as well as training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, and/or an associate's degree.
Outside machinists usually need one or two years of on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be available.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is typically required. Outside Machinists generally have a broad background in diesel repair and maintenance.