As a dedicated security professional, your day will most likely begin well before the sun has risen. Nonetheless, you rise with a smile on your face knowing that you continue to make a difference in the wellbeing of others every day. Security professionals are responsible for nearly every area of a facility, and because of this, constant preparedness and education are key. Seasoned security professionals understand the day-to-day routine, but it is important not to become complacent and forget that professional development is necessary when safety and security are involved. You may be one of the best in the field, but never forget that there will always be room for improvement and continuing your education is the way to do it.
Tips for Professional Development
- Take required courses annually – they are GREAT refreshers!
- Join security professional organizations (VSRA, NCMS, ASIS, etc.)
- Attend local security meetings (VSRA, NCMS, ASIS, etc.)
- Attend national security conferences/seminars (NCMS, ASIS, etc.)
- Apply for the local FBI, local police, etc. Citizens Academy – learn about your city and make connections with law enforcement!
- Volunteer in your community and make connections!
- NETWORK with other security professionals!
As you continue your education, remember to earn your certifications to validate your professional skills. Adhering to the stringent guidelines of maintaining certifications ensures your professional growth. It is never too late, or too soon to take the next step in furthering your career. Remember, no one is stopping you, but Y-O-U! Good luck.
Security Professional Certifications
- Industrial Security Professional (ISP®)
- Security Fundamentals Professional Certification (SFPC)
- Security Asset Protection Professional Certification (SAPPC)
- Security Program Integration Professional Certification (SPIPC)
- Industrial Security Oversight Certification (ISOC)
- Physical Security Certification (PSC)
- Special Program Security Certification (SPSC)
- Physical Security Professional (PSP®)
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP®)
- Professional Certified Investigator (PCI®)
About the Author
Tammy Watts is the new Security Manager/FSO for BAE Systems Norfolk Ship Repair. Tammy is a Navy Veteran with over 12 years of industrial security experience. She is active in the security community and serves on the Board of Directors for the FBI Norfolk Citizens Academy Alumni Association and NCMS, Inc. – the Society of Industrial Security Professionals. She can be reached at (757) 494-2960 or email@example.com.
« Return to Newsletter