Ship repair is a 6.4 billion dollar industry in Hampton Roads – and provides career opportunities for more than 60,000 workers in the region! The Virginia Ship Repair Foundation is sponsoring a LEGO Ship Repair Industry Awareness Competition for middle school students. The purpose of the competition is to promote ship repair industry awareness, while increasing student’s competitive mathematical, analytical and conceptual skills.
School’s team will:
- Use FREE LEGO software to design a ship, portion of a ship, or component of a ship that may be repaired in Hampton Roads
- Prepare an essay on ship repair occupations (800 words)
- Prepare a Power Point presentation on the design and essay
- Deliver it on competition day, March 22, 2020 at the Nauticus
What do students get out of participating?
- Learn new technical skills using LEGO design studio
- Develop team building skills to complete the project
- Learn how to utilize Project Time Lines to meet deadlines
- Learn about careers and the ship repair history of Hampton Roads
- Prizes, awards and more!
When you sign up a team you will receive the following:
- Team competition t-shirt
- Orientation to the competition and Lego 3-D software
- An assigned technical advisor to provide guidance and support
Winning Teams earn cash prizes for their school!