FSG TECH SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (Mechanic)
External Job Description
• Must have experience with engineering system assessments and technical maintenance for hydraulic, pneumatic, environmental disposal, electromechanical and mechanical systems on marine vessels (CVN, LHD, DDG, CG, LPD and LSD preferred).
• Must have experience providing technical and system upgrade recommendations.
• Must have assessment, oversight and maintenance experience specifically for equipment and systems such as fire zone doors, balance joiner doors, metal joiner doors, LM 2500 mod doors, diesel doors, helo hanger and flight deck doors, plastic waste processing equipment (PWP), classified pulpier, conveyors, cargo doors, hatch covers, gates, ramps, turn tables and boat handling equipment.
• Must have experience with full cycle task process.
• Must have experience performing operational testing and applying engineering understanding to troubleshoot system degradation to provide solution.
• Must have direct experience with fabrication, operation, application, installation and maintenance on shipboard equipment.
• Must be familiar with NAVSEA standards and practices.
• Must be able to obtain/maintain a secret level security clearance and base credentials.
• Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time to support MSO tasking.
Considered subject matter expert in technical specialty. May work directly with customer or customer representatives, attend meetings and deploy for special projects. Ability to manage, oversee, schedule and assign tasks to one or more multiple jobs. Installs, operates, maintains, repairs and modifies equipment. Performs a variety of maintenance and technical support on products such as equipment, integrated systems and subsystems, and software at customer and/or field locations. Analyzes and evaluates products and related performance. Troubleshoots and diagnoses malfunctions to eliminate problem in minimum time. Installs, upgrades and removes products ensuring coordinative engineering field change. Maintains effective customer communications and relations. May provide onsite training of customer support personnel.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
115 - FSG MMTS Busn Unit - 11500 - Marine Services Ops
US Citizenship Required for this Position
No relocation assistance available
High School Diploma/GED
Yes, 50%-75% of the time
HS education or Trade School + 8 years of related experience, to include specific systems expertise. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 40,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.