Steel America is looking to obtain experienced candidates within our Fabrication Shop.
We are pleased to accept resumes for a Burning Machine Operator/ Basic Fitter. We have a day shift and night shift position available.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
• Maintain specifications by observing, and cutting, including; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
• Operate and maintain one or more burning machines to burn plates in various shapes.
• Select and setup tooling.
• Bend/Form parts and inspect to blue prints.
• Operation of CNC computer driven burning machine in a safe and efficient manner.
• Operation of non-computerized track burning machine in a safe and efficient manner.
• Must be able to select correct burning tips and/or gasses and pressure to complete the job effectively.
• Ability to read and understand work orders and fill out correctly.
• Operation of plasma or flame-cutting torches when required.
• Effectively use all tools associated with performing duties including reading tape measures, calipers, etc.
• Operation of all equipment needed in workstation such as overhead and wall cranes, hand torches, etc..
• Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
• Maintain equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
• Document actions by completing production and quality logs.
• Read work instructions to determine material to pull for burn job and locate the particular material in the warehouse.
• Ensure the correct burn tip and gas settings are used on machine.
• Enter proper program into computer for machine burning specifications.
• Set up, operate, or tend burn machines that cut material to specified dimensions.
• Inspect and measure work pieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes to ensure the quality of parts.
• Knowledge of specific speeds, fuel settings, tips and plasma consumables required to cut various thickness’ of steel.
• Previous experience operating Plate Burning Machines (Plasma or Oxy-Fuel) in a steel service center or fabrication environment
• Ability to tactfully deal with customers, internal Sales Representatives, coworkers & vendors as necessary.
• Must be able to read blueprints or drawings.
• Must be a steady, reliable worker
• Requires basic levels of mathematical, reading, writing and communication skills necessary to successfully accomplish the job description, skills and ability requirements as outlined above.
• Requires visual acuity necessary and appropriate to perform all job duties and requirements as listed.
• Requires auditory acuity capable of hearing a forklift back-up alarm, moving vehicle horns, or other safety alarms and warning signals.
• Able to work all shifts, overtime and weekends
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• 401K, company match
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Legal Services
• Annual performance evaluations
• On-site Human Resources
• On-site gym
• Free and close proximity parking
• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard Inc. and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry
Please refer to the Hiring Company website for additional information on this category.