FSG MASTERTRADESPERSON 2 (Sandblaster)
HII FLEET SUPPORT GROUP (0480)
External Job Description
This position will primarily work out of our Woodlake Fabrication Shop location in Chesapeake, VA but will also travel locally to shipyards and military bases supporting the Marine Services Operation in fabrication and fleet modernization. Position reports directly to the fabrication shop supervisor and fabrication manager. With the understanding that this is a working hands on position and also tasking may require out of town travel for short durations up to 25% of the time. This is depending on contract awards and support required as per trade/skill set. Working extended weekend and/or evening hours to complete task to meet deadline may be required occasionally, as this position will be required to handle a high volume of work with short or last minute deadlines.
Position Specifics: Must have the following experience to qualify for this position.
• Must have ability to set up, operate and maintain industrial sandblasting equipment.
• Must have experience applying and/or removing various sand abrasives and paint coatings.
• Must have ability to troubleshoot equipment as needed.
• Must have ability to control inventory, have knowledge of product emissions control and documentation.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS) ID card and at a minimum, a DoD CONFIDENTIAL security clearance.
• Must be able to travel locally or out of area up to 25% of the time.
• Must have a ability to problem solve and communicate those ideas to supervisor.
• Must be able to work as a part of a team leading and/or assisting as required and have good communication skills.
• Must have reliable transportation.
Installs, operates, maintains, repairs and modifies equipment. Performs a variety of maintenance and technical support on products such as equipment, integrated systems and subsystems, and software at customer and/or field locations. Analyzes and evaluates products and related performance. Troubleshoots and diagnoses malfunctions to eliminate problem in minimum time. Installs, upgrades and removes products ensuring coordinative engineering field change. Maintains effective customer communications and relations. May provide onsite training of customer support personnel. Applies understanding of production and processes to assignments. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. May assist in the development and use technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
115 - FSG MMTS Busn Unit - 11500 - Marine Services Ops
US Citizenship Required for this Position
No relocation assistance available
High School Diploma/GED
Yes, 10%-25% of the time
HS education or Trade School + 2 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
• Painting experience in an industrial setting and knowledge of its associated equipment is preferred.
• Knowledge of toxic and non-toxic painting materials and protection required when handling hazardous materials a plus.
• Prior experience in fabrication to include operation of standard power tools for finishing, grinding and polishing is a plus.
• Mechanical experience on industrial equipment and maintenance of same a plus.
• Ability to interpret blueprints and schematics/drawings a plus.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 40,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.
Category: Master Tradesperson
Applies comprehensive understanding of production and processes toward completion of assignments. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
High School Diploma/GED
HS education or Trade School + 4 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.