FSG Master Tradesperson 4 (Marine Pipe Welder)
HII FLEET SUPPORT GROUP (0480)
External Job Description
*$1,000 Sign on bonus available upon successful completion of welding qualifications testing.
**This offer is contingent upon selected candidate being able to demonstrate multi-pass, all position fillet and butt welds in position required weld processes (SMAW, GMAW, GTAW and/or FCAW) within 15 business days of hire date without exceeding a maximum of three non-conforming qualification test assemblies for the process for which you are qualifying.
The selected candidate will be supporting our Marine Services Division working/leading on the deck plates building, installing, repairing and maintaining high energy piping to assist with alterations and installs for fleet modernization on various contracts such as Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Space & Naval Warfare Systems Command and Naval Surface Warfare Center. Weldments created utilizing a variety of procedures, must pass visual (VT), magnetic particle (MT), liquid penetrant (LPT), and/or radiographic (RT) inspections as appropriate. The selected candidate will be required to travel to shipyards and military bases located around the country when not assigned to a local task. Per diem available based on location when on travel, travel and lodging expenses are covered by the company. There is potential to work overtime depending on contract needs.
Position Specifics: Candidates must have the following to qualify for this position.
• Must have in depth knowledge and experience in brazing and welding of pipe.
• Must have experience in tungsten inert gas welding (Tig/GTAW).
• Must have experience in installation, maintenance, and repair of high energy piping systems onboard marine vessels.
• Must be able to perform pipe welding requirements to 6G
• Must be able to weld in and out of position on various pipe configurations using SMAW and GTAW welding processes.
• Must have strong Knowledge of Marine Blueprint reading and interpretation, with the ability to interpret sketches and drawings to develop specifications for product to be fabricated and/or installed
• Must have strong procedural knowledge of pipe welding.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a secret clearance and base access/credentials.
• Must be able to travel 50% of the time.
• Must be able to work overtime when needed.
Master understanding of production and processes. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. May provide direction and lead others. May manage one or more multiple jobs. Completes comprehension of specialty trades functions and tools. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. May perform quality inspections on finished product. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
115 - FSG MMTS Busn Unit - 11500 - Marine Services Ops
US Citizenship Required for this Position
No relocation assistance available
High School Diploma/GED
Yes, 50%-75% of the time
HS education or Trade School + 6 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
• Candidates with additional knowledge of pipefitting equipment, sizes and schedules are highly desired.
• Rip out, repair, target, layout, fabricate, install and experience test marine piping systems onboard ships in various stages of repair and modernization is a plus.
• Experience repairing and replacing ships' piping systems is a plus (i.e. Auxiliary Salt Water, Fire Main, Potable Water, Hydraulic, Compressed Air, Fuel Oil, Lube Oil, Engine Exhaust, and Steam).
• Strong knowledge of NAVSEA/Military Standards preferred.
•Candidates that hold a Technical Skills Training Certification or Diploma related to pipe welding and/or are graduates of Apprenticeships or Military Specialty School Training for pipe welding or pipefitting are preferred.
• Ability to fabricate mockup, targets or fixtures to increase quality and production preferred.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 40,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.
Category: Master Tradesperson
Applies comprehensive understanding of production and processes toward completion of assignments. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
High School Diploma/GED
HS education or Trade School + 4 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.