FSG Master Tradesperson 4 (Marine Pipefitter)
HII FLEET SUPPORT GROUP (0480)
External Job Description
**This offer is contingent upon you being able to demonstrate the following within 15 business days of your hire date without exceeding a maximum of three non-conforming qualification test assemblies for the process for which you are qualifying to; Successful use of oxygen/propane Heat Torch including:
a. Properly use fillet and butt weld gauges
b. Perform air carbon arc gouging.
The selected candidate will be supporting our Marine Services Division working/leading on the deck plates building, fitting and maintaining high energy piping to assist with alterations and installs for fleet modernization on various contracts such as Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Space & Naval Warfare Systems Command and Naval Surface Warfare Center. The selected candidate will be required to travel to shipyards and military bases located around the country when not assigned to a local task. Per diem available based on location when on travel, travel and lodging expenses are covered by the company. There is potential to work overtime depending on contract needs.
Position Specifics: Candidate must have the following to qualify.
• Must have in depth knowledge and experience in layout, cutting, fitting, and assembly of pipe onboard marine vessels..
• Must be proficient with standard pipe fitting procedures. (i.e. P-1 High energy systems. Lock-ring, silver braze - Grade III, IV, V).
• Must be able to read and understand the use of precision measuring tools.
• Must have experience testing installed piping systems.
• Must be able to interpret blueprints and drawings to develop specifications for product to be fabricated and/or installed.
• Must be able to identify system and component location based on ships structure.
• Must be proficient with use of layout tools.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a secret clearance and base access/credentials.
• Must be able to travel 50% of the time.
• Must be able to work overtime when needed.
Master understanding of production and processes. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. May provide direction and lead others. May manage one or more multiple jobs. Completes comprehension of specialty trades functions and tools. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. May perform quality inspections on finished product. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
115 - FSG MMTS Busn Unit - 11500 - Marine Services Ops
US Citizenship Required for this Position
No relocation assistance available
High School Diploma/GED
Yes, 50%-75% of the time
HS education or Trade School + 6 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
• Candidates with additional knowledge and experience in brazing and welding of pipe are highly desired.
• Strong knowledge of NAVSEA/Military Standards preferred.
•Candidates that hold a Technical Skills Training Certification or Diploma related to pipe welding and/or are graduates of Apprenticeships or Military Specialty School Training for pipe welding or pipefitting are preferred.
• Ability to fabricate mockup, targets or fixtures to increase quality and production preferred.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division supports national security missions around the globe with unmanned systems, defense and federal solutions, nuclear and environmental services, and fleet sustainment. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 42,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.