MACHINIST 1ST CLASS
NORFOLK, VA, US
19 days ago
Requisition ID: 1011
21.0000 To 28.0000 (USD) Hourly
1 Minimum five years experience as a first class machinist
2 Able to read a rule and micrometer
3 Proficient math skills
4 Remove, overhaul, test and reinstall valves
5 Remove / Install rudders, propellers, shafts, couplings
6 Align pumps, engines, reduction gear, struts and bearings
7 Physical strength & stamina
8 Problem solving skills
9 Read blue prints and sketches
10 Pass a back ground check to obtain DBIZ card for access to military installations
11 No Physical limitations
12 Able to work in confined spaces, outside weather conditions
13 Reliable transportation
Category: Outside Machinist
NOTE: The following descriptions is a GENERAL OVERVIEW of this career, and not a description of a particular job posting.
An outside machinist installs and repairs equipment, sets up and handles manufacturing machinery and ensures that production equipment is adequate and functional. The machinist also operates machines manually or through control mechanisms, inspects equipment and materials and communicates with co-workers, subordinates and superiors.
An Outside Machinist's typical duties include:
- Disassembling or dismantling valves or pumps, inspecting for wear and assessing replacement need, then re-assembling
- Installing stanchions and hand rails for gratings and ladders
- Installing piping for steam, exhaust, suction, discharge, heating, and/or refrigeration
- Dismantling, inspecting and repairing deck machinery, main engines, generator governors, and/or turbines
- Running horizontal and vertical lines for alignment of engines
- Overhauling and repairing refrigerating machinery
Most outside machinist careers require a high school diploma, as well as training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, and/or an associate's degree.
Outside machinists usually need one or two years of on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be available.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is typically required. Outside Machinists generally have a broad background in diesel repair and maintenance.