ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides Leadership and Oversight to pipe teams.
• Performs layout, fabrication, installation, testing and repair of pipe systems.
• Fits pipe and properly prepares joints for welding to meet the specific requirements of the system on which work is being done.
• Works from blueprints and makes fabrication sketches from which another mechanic could fabricate a unit of pipe.
• Lays out and figures off set bends and rolling offset bends.
• Make up flanges - Proper sequence and material required
• Read Blueprints and drawings related to job
• Set-up and operate burning torch.
• Fabricate and design pipe hangars.
• Test piping systems with air and water.
• Conduct actions and work behaviors according to safe shipyard practices.
• Tack Weld, Silver braze, soft solder and burn.
• Install simple systems without blueprints.
• Work with all materials and sizes of pipe and tubing.
• Lay out all piping systems.
• Run pipe bending machines.
• Evaluate joint allowances and build the piping systems within required tolerances.
• Construct dimensionally correct mock-up for off-site prefabrication - Read blueprints, fabricate stands and jigs, make targets. Construct within required tolerances. Track job from material list through completion.
• Work with all types of pipe joints, welded, screwed, soldered, glued, and all types of materials; copper, CuNi, NiCu, Cres, Steel, etc.
• Able to properly use hand tools and power tools associated with the trade.
• Train insubordinate and supervise crew as senior mechanic.
• Adherence to industry codes, specifications, and regulations.
• Understand and act upon instruction.
• Will be required to wear personal protective equipment- hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes and, when necessary, respirator.
• Work independently to complete responsibilities.
• Must have regular, reliable attendance.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• 5 years minimum in shipboard pipefitting experience.
• Technical training preferred.
• Knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the Pipe-fitting trade, including but not limited to; pipe benders, band saws, bench grinders, drill presses, pipe threaders.
• Leader’s knowledge in troubleshooting skills.
• Must be able to work effectively with others.
• Comprehend blueprints, sketches, and templates.
• Enter and move through manholes to reach and work internally confined spaces.
• Must be a steady, reliable worker.
• Must be able to comprehend and follow instructions.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS STATEMENT:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform the essential job duties satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to the safety or health of employee or others. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exposure to extreme weather conditions, dust, dirt, fumes, gases, smoke, and confined spaces.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to:
Sit, Stand, Walk, Bend, Squat, Climb, Reach, Push and Pull, Stoop, Crawl, Kneel, Balance, Lift and Carry various objects and equipment.
Use hands to finger, handle, feel, or control objects and/or tools.
Work in confined spaces such as boilers, tanks and voids.
Access areas of facility and vessels by inclined and vertical ladders.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pipefitter Lead will be fully qualified in:
• Materials: carbon steel, stainless steel, copper, copper nickel, aluminum, thermoplastic (including PVC & FRP)
• Blueprint reading
• Offset layouts
• Tack welding: carbon, stainless steel,
• Installing simple systems without the use of prints
• Bending, burning, and cutting pipe
• System and component functions
• Calculating take-ups of butt welds, socket welds, and threaded joints
• Determining and applying joint and system tolerances
• NAVSEA P-3 & P-3A Silver Brazing
• NAVSEA P-1, P-2, & ABS: flared, flareless, & compression fittings; taper thread joint; flange joint; slip-on welded sleeve joint; socket welded joint; butt welded joint
• Safe handling, use, & storage of gasses; safe work practices & PPE; tank safe opening practices; lock out/tag out; confined space practices; safe burning practice; oil spill response
• Recognition and requisition of job materials
• Technical writing: reports and records
• Local air testing; compressed air testing; hydrostatic testing