SMS, a local, rapidly growing, subcontractor, is seeking a qualified and experienced Estimator for about 10-20 hours/week.
An ideal candidate – someone that estimated jobs and prepared bids in the marine industry prior and is looking for a part-time job. This person is also likely to have worked in the trades prior to estimating.
The Estimator works closely with the Director of Operations to determine the amount of material, labor and subcontractors needed to conduct Production work efforts within prescribed margins. Possess the ability to provide detailed estimates on assigned bids.
• Prepare cost and time estimates (time, labor, material and travel) for alteration and repairs to shipboard HM&E or detailed material take-offs from ship specs and drawings.
• Conduct thorough ship checks and site visits (when possible) with assigned Production personnel to identify detailed scope of work including interferences, as-found conditions, projected schedule, material, etc.
• Gather information relevant to develop and discuss estimated costs and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for each task, RFQ, RFP or work package.
• Possess a thorough understanding of NAVSEA standard items, production procedures, planning procedures, material requirements, adherence to technical instructions/directives and other similar experience in preparing contract specifications (bid specification).
• Be proficient in reading and interpreting Ship’s Installation Drawings and Technical Manuals.
• Analyze Requests for Proposals (RFP) and Requests for Quote (RFQ) services, material and fabrication.
• Conduct routine analysis of estimated costs versus actual costs incurred and develop “lessons learned” for historical reference; and make recommendations for improvement.
• Understands the use and application of estimating standard to enhance the assembly of bids and proposals.
Education & Qualifications
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience planning and estimating ship repair tasking.
• Proficient with MS Project and Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
• Must have excellent communication, problem resolution and strategic planning skills.
• Possesses a good understanding of trade disciplines associated with ship repair and common contracting procedures.
• Preferred – DBIDS, TWIC, OSHA10
This position is considered LIGHT work with occasional lifting of up to 25-50 pounds and frequent lifting of 5 pounds. Work in a shop environment with occasional noise levels above 85dB. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions, sex stereotyping, transgender status, and gender identity), national origin (including limited English proficiency), age, disability, political affiliation or belief, or other non-merit factors.