SJS Industrial, a wet paint, powder coating, ceramic coating and media blasting facility for the maritime industry in and around Virginia Beach, Virginia, is seeking a full-time permanent Marine Industrial Powder Coater to work Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, or 2nd Shift, 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM with a 30-minute unpaid lunch.
Saturday or evening shifts might happen occasionally if there is a special project with a tight deadline, but the goal is a steady and reliable Monday through Friday 40-hour workweek to avoid weekend, night-time and overtime work.
The ideal person for this position will have five (5) or more years of career experience as a marine or industrial Powder Coater. The incumbent will have from experience knowledge of understanding technicial parameters, how specific set ups change how it effects the coating. The Powder Coater will also have a deep level of understanding regarding mil thickness.
He or she will already know how to use an industrial respirator correctly to ensure personal safety, will be at ease with working with others within a fast paced team environment without compromising quality, and will exhibit conscientious workmanship to ensure components meet military and maritime industry acceptance standards.
• Preparing and taping off the surfaces of metal components about to be coated, when required
• Apply even coats of as directed by customer specifications and the SJS Industrial Production Supervisor
• Checking pumps, applicator guns, and apparatuses daily to ensure full functionality and operate the equipment according to manufacturer instructions for safe and proper use
• Inspect your own work daily for quality and to prevent defects before passing items to other departments in the production line; cooperate and collaborate with the Quality Control representative to correct and resolve defects
• Complete project forms and documentation accurately
• Assist with shift/workday closeout activities and general housekeeping, which are duties that are shared with all other members of the team
• Strong Working knowledge of mechanics of powder coating equipment
• Participate in cross-training to acquire additional complementary skills
• Other production-related tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Production Supervisor or the SJS Industrial Director.
• Ability to understand and accurately interpret line drawings, specifications and details shown on work orders to be able to correctly apply the right type/brand, color and mil thickness of coating
• Knowledge of proper techniques to execute even coverage without blotches, runs or other defects
• Veteran hiring preference, but all applicants are welcome
• This is a physical job requiring interaction with a work team in a noisy environment, so the ability to see and hear clearly, stand, walk, bend over and crouch during the majority of each work is a necessity; must be able to lift 30 or more pounds
• Must be willing to wear Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) like a respirator at all times when working as required by occupational safety law
• Must be able to successfully pass a drug test and background check.
Please refer to the Hiring Company website for additional information on this category.