Surge Force is actively seeking talented and highly motivated Helpers. Must have knowledge of shipyard practices , able to operate hand tools, lift up to 75 lbs, and must be firewatch certified .
Must meet the required qualifications to be considered:
Resume or Application
1+ years working experience in a shipyard/ship repair environment
Pass a DRUG TEST and BACKGROUND CHECK
Must be able to obtain a Rapid Gate Badge
Additional Requirements if checked:
Work Environment Summary
Applicant may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposed to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicant must be aware of work environment at all times.
Physical Conditions for Job Performance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools, or controls, and talk or hear others. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
NOTE: The following description is a GENERAL Overview of this career and not a description of a particular job posting.
The primary responsibility of a firewatch is to stand watch at an assigned location and identify and prevent any hazardous situations.
Typical Job Responsibilities include:
- Inspecting an area prior to any hot work being performed to ensure all flammable and combustible material have been removed
- Delivering all safety equipment (including appropriate fire extinguisher) to site
- Staying stationed in the work site such that they can respond quickly to prevent fires
- Conducting frequent inspections of the hot work areas during hot work to ensure area is still safe and working conditions are favorable
- Reporting fires and accidents to the officer of the deck and Firewatch Coordinator immediately
- Remaining in place for thirty minutes following work performed to clean area and to ensure work site conditions remain safe
High School Diploma preferred. Must complete Fire Watch training.
A firewatch must:
- Have the ability to carry out written and/or oral instructions
- Successfully complete a Fire Watch Training course
- Be able to wear safety equipment provided (i.e. self-contained breathing apparatus)
- Be able to work effectively as part of a field crew
- Be a steady and reliable worker
- Previous work within the maritime industry and familiarity with maritime terminology preferred
- Knowledge of hot work procedures preferred