SJS Industrial, a wet paint, powder coating, ceramic coating and media blasting facility for the maritime industry in and around Virginia Beach, Virginia, is seeking a full-time permanent Production Supervisor to work Monday through Friday from 8:00 to 4:30 PM.
Saturday or evening shifts might happen occasionally if there is a special project with a tight deadline, but the goal is a steady and reliable Monday through Friday 40-hour workweek to avoid weekend, night-time and overtime work.
The ideal person for this position will have three (3) or more years of career experience as a a production supervisor or an industrial production manager for an industrial production operation, managing a crew of 10 or more people. This candidate will also have powder coating experience and supervisory experience of a powder coating/paint department.
He or she will also have a strong safety mindset to ensure safety throughout the facility, will be at ease with working with others within a fast paced team environment without compromising quality, and will exhibit conscientious workmanship to ensure components meet military and maritime industry acceptance standards.
• Ensure paint, powder coating and media blasting services are rendered safely, cost-effectively and on time and that they meet the required quality standards as identified on the work orders/traveler documents
• Perform production planning and scheduling ensuring no loss of production time.
• Working in conjunction with the quality control specialist, identify and pull defective work from production and route it to the rework line
• Oversee a crew of about 10 junior personnel to monitor work and ensure consistent attendance and punctuality; ensure personnel adherence to safety practices and consistent wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE); ensure personnel are working efficiently to meet production goals without compromising safety or quality; provide guidance, motivation, encouragement, mentoring and direction to junior personnel as needed; ensure quality standards of workmanship are maintained, the customer’s needs are properly fulfilled, and personnel are executing the responsibilities of their positions properly
• Ensure new personnel receive safety tours and briefings and are fitted for respirators by the company safety manager
• Help develop and document new Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for production including checklists and error-prevention processes
• Provide regular written reports and verbal briefings to the SJS Industrial Director, company owners and officers on production capacity, production rates, defect rates, utilization of resources, staffing levels within the division/shift, safety levels and other Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) or production statistics
• Provide the SJS Industrial Director and company owners and officers with recommendations on how to increase productivity, quality and/or safety, how to better prioritize and sequence production activities, how to optimize production capacity, how to reduce waste, defects, scrap and rework, what the division’s annual, quarterly and monthly goals should be and other continuous process improvement ideas
• Perform production and safety recordkeeping as required by OSHA and state and local laws
• Assist junior employees with understanding and fulfilling their timekeeping and housekeeping responsibilities; assess whether junior employees are following proper work procedures or not (e.g., look out for “hot coating,” which is not permissible) and implement the company system of progressive discipline if necessary
• Monitor supply levels to ensure production disruptions are prevented; prepare cost estimates for large scale purchases of raw materials, supplies or consumables for review and approval by SJS Industrial Director or company owners
• Prepare handoff documents at the conclusion of each shift to provide to the Production Manager who manages the next shift.
• Other industrial production-related tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the SJS Industrial Director or company owners or officers.
• A degree in Industrial Engineering, Industrial Operations Management or another relevant field; OR, if candidate is a veteran, instead provide evidence of similar education, training or experience acquired through military service (i.e., DD 214 form showing training and education in relevant disciplines)
• 3+ years of successful experience as a Production Supervisor or an Industrial Production Manager for an industrial production operation, managing a crew of 10 or more people
• OSHA 10 or OSHA 30 certification is preferred; other safety knowledge and skills will be accepted
• Proven ability to meet deadlines and support other departments within SJS Industrial
• Orientation to extreme attention to detail; capable of articulating cause and effect using data to support such analyses and recommendations
• Strong problem solving and analysis skills
• Ability to resolve conflicts that arise from balancing multiple priorities
• LEAN Six Sigma experience in defect elimination, waste reduction, continuous process improvement and efficiency preferred
• Must be able to successfully pass a drug test and background check
SJS Executives, LLC (SJS), also doing business as SJS Industrial, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy status and/or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service or other non-merit factors.