Location: Chesapeake, VA, US, 23320
Company: HII's TSD
Join our Elevator Support Unit (ESU)! The position will support contracted skilled trades work on Weapon Elevators and Aircraft Elevators and their systems on U.S. Navy ships.
The selected candidate will support ESU by performing a variety of skilled trades, maintenance and technical tasks on aircraft carrier elevators, cargo handling systems and associated equipment, including aircraft elevators, weapons elevators and vertical stores conveyors. Selected candidate will work closely with higher level employee in specialized assignments. May train/assist other employees/navy personal on shipboard systems and day-to-day operation. Work includes daily activities of physical labor in an industrial and shipboard environment. Your accomplishments will make a positive impact supporting the U.S. Navy and America’s national defense! Travel within and outside of the continental United States may be required.
What you will do
• Installs, operates, maintains, repairs and modifies equipment.
• Performs a variety of maintenance and technical support on products such as shipboard systems, integrated systems and related equipment/software at company, customer and/or field locations.
• Troubleshoots and diagnoses malfunctions to eliminate problems in minimum time.
• Applies comprehensive understanding of production and processes toward completion of assignments.
• Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others.
• Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks.
• Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports.
• Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management.
• Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
What you must have
• Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent and 4 years of related experience.
• Must have experience performing troubleshooting, preventative maintenance and testing of electrical systems.
• Must be proficient in reading electrical drawings and schematics
• Must have experience conducting on-site installation of equipment while following established safety, qualify control & testing procedures.
• Must be able to calibrate, and make minor repairs on tools/equipment.
• Must be able to obtain/maintain base access credentials.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen.
• Must be able to provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
Preferred: Bonus points for...
• 6 years of related experience preferred.
• Experience in the operation, repair and maintenance of marine hydraulic electrical systems highly desired
• Prior Shipboard experience preferred, prior experience on elevators or similar equipment is highly desired.
• Candidates who hold a current or active DoD confidential clearance or higher preferred.
• Candidate with related technical training, degrees and/or certifications preferred.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
Building on a legacy of more than a century of naval shipbuilding, Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries provides mission-critical solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide. Comprising nearly 6,000 professionals in 45 states and 16 countries, our unique national security services portfolio includes unmanned systems, defense and federal solutions, and nuclear and environmental services. For more information, visit tsd.huntingtoningalls.com.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division supports national security missions around the globe with unmanned systems, nuclear and environmental services, and defense and federal solutions. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 42,000 people operating both domestically and internationally. For more information, visit: www.huntingtoningalls.com.
Federal Executive Order 14042 requires that covered contractor employees who work on, or in connection with, covered Federal contracts or at covered contractor workplaces may be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and comply with other requirements. Covered contractor employees also must comply with agency COVID-19 workplace safety requirements while in Federal workplaces. Applicant agrees to comply with said requirements to the extent they apply to the applied-for position.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
Category: Master Tradesperson
Applies comprehensive understanding of production and processes toward completion of assignments. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
High School Diploma/GED
HS education or Trade School + 4 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.