Quality Inspector 2 (5548)
Location: Newport News, VA, US, 23607
Company: HII's TSD
Requisition Number: 5548
Required Travel: 0 - 10%
Employment Type: Full Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
Hours Per Week: 40
Security Clearance: Ability to Obtain
Level of Experience: Senior
Employee Referral Bonus Amount: ERP Amount: $1,000
Who We Are
We have an exciting opportunity to join our growing team at HII!. As a Quality Inspector 2 at HII you will provide task support by working as apart of the Quality Assurance Team supporting the Quality Assurance Inspections and assessments located at the Newport News Shipyard!
What You Will Do
- Performs required inspections and nondestructive tests (UT, MT, PT, visual, dimensional, load tests, etc.) on mechanical, electrical or structural components or systems to ensure conformance with the quality requirements for Naval reactor plants and associated systems, in support of ship construction, overhaul, refueling and repair contracts.
- This job reports to a Supervisor, Inspection and works under general supervision.
- Work is performed within the confines of standardized Company and industry policies, practices and procedures.
- This job has decision-making responsibilities with regard to the acceptance or rejection of work and tests performed and the determination of measuring equipment used.
- The incumbent has the authority to halt work temporarily that would affect the reactor plant.
- Errors could be critical and adversely affect the Company's competitive position in the field.
Inspects and performs tests on mechanical, electrical or structural components and assemblies related to reactor plant operators.
- Inspections vary from close tolerance dimensional checks to general surveillance of the work in progress.
What You Must Have
High School Diploma or equivalent and 2 years additional education and/or related experience.
Bonus Points for Having
- Prior shipbuilding inspection background – more than a couple of years preferred
- Will need to be able to pass 3 practical’s for each method that are described in the What You Will do Section
- NDT experience is a plus!
May require working in an industrial or shipboard environment. Normally not required to lift more than 40 pounds higher than three feet above feet/floor level. May encounter extremes of temperature, pollution, humidity, noise, and other environmental factors while collecting data, observing performance of task teams.
This opportunity resides with Fleet Sustainment, a business group within Mission Technologies, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries. For 40 years, the U.S. Navy has entrusted HII to maintain and modernize the vast majority of its fleet. From small watercraft to submarines, combatants and aircraft carriers, our systems and maintenance experts help the Navy maintain a high state of readiness. And, we deploy with the most advanced technology and capability available.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: hii.com.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.