Mechanical Submarine Technician - 7804
Location: Newport News, VA, US, 23607
Company: HII's Mission Technologies division
Requisition Number: 7804
Required Travel: 0 - 10%
Employment Type: Full Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
Hours Per Week: 40
Security Clearance: Secret
Level of Experience: Mid
Who We Are
At HII we build and maintain U.S. Navy readiness every day. Mission Technologies, a division of HII have an exciting opportunity to join our growing team! We are seeking candidates to join our Submarine Fleet Support Work Control Department at the Newport News Shipyard! This position is for an experienced Engineering Technician who will be working as a part of Newport News Shipbuilding E25 Test Engineering department that will provide work control support to various Los Angeles Class Submarine projects.
What You Will Do
- Provides technical support to engineers on a variety of technical tasks.
- Gathers, maintains, formats, compiles, and manipulates technical data, such as laboratory or material test results and engineering design changes.
- Produces engineering documentation, reports, drawings (flow charts, block diagrams, and schematics).
- Performs detailed mathematical calculations using established formulas; preliminary analyses of data where guidelines are provided in such areas as trajectory adequacy, model dimensional consistency; and quantitative judgments concerning technical data.
- Uses personal computer in performance of analyses and development of documentation/reports.
- May conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering evaluation or analysis.
What You Must Have
- AA or other 2 year technical degree in related discipline and 3 years of related experience, or HS + 5 years related (DoD/USN) experience.
- The selected candidate must have prior operational or maintenance experience on US Navy Submarines working in the areas of electrical, mechanical or auxiliary systems.
- Prior shipyard or military experience required.
- Experience with Navy Work Authorization Forms (WAF’s) and tag-outs using the electronic Shift Operating Management System (eSOMS) is required.
- Must be able to work in a shipboard environment during a major availability.
- Must be able to lift, carry, transport heavy equipment and climb ladders and stand for extended periods of time.
- The position requires a SECRET security clearance.
- Must be a US Citizen
Bonus Points For Having!
- Candidates with senior level experience applying the Joint Fleet Maintenance Manual (JFMM)/Tag-out User’s Manual (TUM) requirements to systems maintenance and testing in a depot level maintenance period a plus.
- Senior level Experience with Navy Work Authorization Forms (WAF’s) and tag-outs using the electronic Shift Operating Management System (eSOMS) is preferred.
Job performance requires adequate visual acuity and manual dexterity for meeting the requirements of the job. A waterfront office work environment is normally encountered.
This opportunity resides with Fleet Sustainment, a business group within HII’s Mission Technologies division. For 40 years, the U.S. Navy has entrusted HII to maintain and modernize the vast majority of its fleet. From small watercraft to submarines, combatants and aircraft carriers, our systems and maintenance experts help the Navy maintain a high state of readiness. And, we deploy with the most advanced technology and capability available.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: hii.com.
HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.