Tech Subject Matter Expert - 5097
Location: Newport News, VA, US, 23607
Company: HII's Mission Technologies division
Who We Are
We have an exciting opportunity to join our growing team and the Newport News Shipyard! The selected candidate will support RCOH by performing a variety of skilled trades, maintenance and technical tasks on aircraft carrier elevators, cargo handling systems and associated equipment, including aircraft elevators, weapons elevators and vertical stores conveyors. Selected candidate will work closely with higher level employee in specialized assignments. May train/assist other employees/navy personal on shipboard systems and day-to-day operation.
In addition, responsibilities will include providing direction to deck plate staff and developing schedules and assigning working tasks. Ensuring maintenance contracts for services are fulfilled and appropriate documentation and records are kept. Will be responsible for the Identification of potential risk and problem areas and develop/provide recommended solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity. Work includes daily activities of physical labor in an industrial and shipboard environment. Your accomplishments will make a positive impact supporting the U.S. Navy and America’s national defense!
What You Will Do
- Considered subject matter expert in technical specialty.
- May work directly with customer or customer representatives, attend meetings and deploy for special projects.
- Ability to manage, oversee, schedule and assign tasks to one or more multiple jobs. Installs, operates, maintains, repairs and modifies equipment.
- Performs a variety of maintenance and technical support on products such as equipment, integrated systems and subsystems, and software at customer and/or field locations.
- Analyzes and evaluates products and related performance.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses malfunctions to eliminate problem in minimum time. Installs, upgrades and removes products ensuring coordinative engineering field change.
- Maintains effective customer communications and relations.
- May provide onsite training of customer support personnel.
What You Must Have
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent and 8 years of related experience.
- Ship fitter SME- Must be able to read NAVSEA Drawings and understand Joint designs.
- Must provide their own fitting tools
- Must be able to use cutting Torch and Plasma
- Ability to SMAW weld is plus but not required.
Bonus Points For Having!
- 12 years of related experience preferred.
- Candidates with related technical/professional certifications are preferred.
- Candidates with related experience work on U.S. Navy Aircraft Carriers (CVN) highly desired.
- Candidates with prior experience leading skilled trades teams in a shipboard environment preferred.
- Candidates with an active DoD confidential clearance or higher preferred.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards,under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and resilient maritime platforms ever built, to unmanned systems and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a connected, integrated full spectrum force. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: hii.com.
Building on a legacy of more than a century of naval shipbuilding, Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Technical Solutions division is accelerating national security solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide. Comprising more than 7,000 professionals, our unique national security portfolio includes cyber and electronic warfare, fleet sustainment, ISR, live, virtual, constructive (LVC) solutions, nuclear and environmental services, and unmanned systems. For more information, visit tsd.huntingtoningalls.com.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.