Job Title: Engineering Technician/Technical Writer
Job Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Job Category: Engineering Specialist
Job Status: Full Time
Job Description: Q.E.D. SYSTEMS, INC., a local Marine Engineering firm has immediate full-time positions available for an Engineering Technician/Technical Writer to develop/change Technical Manuals and Preventive Maintenance procedures.\
Job Duties: The candidate will be responsible for creating and publishing technical documentation and manuals for the organization. The candidate will collect and interpret technical data or information and coordinate a layout for publication. The candidate will also be responsible for producing high quality documentation, such as articles and guides, to explain technical concepts in a way that is informative and easy to understand.
Job Requirements/skill sets:
1. Proficiency in reading and interpreting standard Navy drawings.
2. Understand the standard format of Navy Technical Manuals including the implementation of changes as a result of Ship Alterations, or responses to Technical Manual Deficiency Evaluation Reports (TMDER).
3. Proficient use of Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) and Extensible Markup Language (XML).
4. Proficient with Microsoft Office programs (WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, etc.).
5. Competent technical writing skills, to include grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
6. Competent typing and keyboarding skills.
7. Strong organizational skills, computer file management, and attention to detail.
Highly Desirable requirements:
1. Strong, detailed understanding of US Navy Hull, Mechanical, and Electrical Systems (HM&E), Electronic Systems, and Piping Systems (Personnel with at least 10 yrs of Naval service in an HM&E shipboard environment would fulfill this requirement).
2. Have a basic understanding of the Navy stock system to include National Stock Numbers (NSNs) and how they are applied and cross referenced in Allowance Parts Lists (APLs).
3. Able to traverse shipboard environment, and wear any required PPE.
4. Familiarity with the following Government websites: CDMD-OA, NDE, TDMIS, NSEDR, and MBPS.
5. Familiarity with Navy PMS and NPE.
Education Requirements: Minimum of H.S. Diploma or GED
EOE M/F: QED is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets.
Job Type: Full-time
Q.E.D. offers competitive benefits such as: Paid Leave, Medical, Dental, Vision, Short/Long Term Disability, 401(k) retirement plan, Basic Life Insurance, supplemental insurances, and Employee Assistance Program.
• 8 hour shift
• Day shift
• Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
• Virginia Beach, VA 23455: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
• Naval service: 10 years (Preferred)
• Secret (Required)
Work Location: One location