The Safety Compliance Specialist ensures safety policies and procedures are in compliance with company and local Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Provide workers with information and safety solutions to achieve Lyon Shipyard’s mission and provide a safe work environment.
• Safety Shop
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Act as a liaison between the shipyards safety department and other departments and subcontractors.
2. Conducts safety orientation briefs.
3. Enforce OSHA rules and regulations and company policies in order to maintain a safety culture and a safe working environment.
4. Work diligently to keep our safety programs current and improve our processes to prevent hazards and injuries.
5. Ensure vessel inspections are conducted and shop inspections are done to identify hazards and correct discrepancies found.
a. Inspections of various shipyard jobs, shop training, and correcting safety hazards/ violations.
i. Safety hazards such as poor housekeeping, lack of personal protective equipment, etc.
6. Meticulous record keeping
a. Records to be maintained and monitored are the safety meeting files, safety inspection logs, First Aid/AED log, CP monitoring log, safety training log, Discrepancy Reports, and incident reviews.
b. Employee Action Notice’s recorded and issued for safety violations.
7. Conducts Accident/Incident Investigations.
8. Periodic attendance at the Virginia Ship Repair Association (VASRA) monthly safety committee meetings.
9. Conduct and/or coordinate safety training to include HAZCOM and Confined Space for all production employees.
a. To include; First Aid, CPR/AED, annual Respirator Fit Testing.
10. Support the Safety Manager to ensure their views with regard to safety policies are carried out and that company employees as well as temporary employees are following established rules and regulations.
11. Conduct self in an appropriate manner as a representative of Lyon Shipyard Safety Department, working effectively in a diverse work environment.
12. The use of clear and concise verbal and written communication skills; professional and respectful of others, ability to verify a basic level of understanding on safety principles.
13. Monitors/Observes workers habits, behaviors, daily practices, learns workers’ ethics.
14. Responsible for administrative reporting to support senior management level personnel.
15. Maintains confidentiality related to safety issues.
16. Uses good judgment to make sound decisions.
17. Perceived fairness; tolerance; honesty; consistent in application of policies and procedures.
18. Provide assistance to employees to fill out claims
19. Review claims filed by employees for completion and timely submission related to incident.
20. Assist in medical documentation submissions within acceptable time frames.
21. Assist in tracking claims from filing through follow-up with employee supervisors.
22. Assist in incident case file and ensure employee access to information.
23. Coordinate with payroll personnel concerning continuation of pay or light duty hours.
24. Contact insurance providers to confirm employee’s work status.
1. Safety Capacity
2. Customer/Client Focus
3. Ethical Conduct
4. Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
6. Attention to Detail
This position oversees the education/ training and enforcement of safety initiatives for the entire shipyard.
This job is primarily outdoors. This includes heights, confined and enclosed spaces and other dangerous atmospheres in the shipyard industry. Also, professional office environments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, and vibration. The noise level in the shipyard work environment can be loud. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Routinely, there will be a need for the incumbent to work/walk Lyon shipyard and all areas therein.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to listen, document, and research. The employee is frequently required to climb; stand; walk; enter vessel voids as a daily activities. The employee is required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/ Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. This position periodically requires long hours and weekend work. Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function and a prerequisite to perform other essential functions of the position.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be possible.
Required Education and Experience
1. A bachelor’s degree and, or two (2) to four (4) years’ experience in the Safety field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
Education based on requirements that are job-related and consistent with the business necessity.
1. Safety experience in the shipyard industry.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and continues to be, a fundamental principle at Lyon Shipyard, Inc. It is the company's policy that opportunities be available to all persons without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, citizenship status, or any other category protected under state or local law. This policy applies to employees and applicants and to all phases of employment including hiring, promotion, demotion, and treatment during employment, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, and termination of employment.
Lyon Shipyard is proud to be a drug free workplace.