Crofton offers industry leading solutions above and below the waterline, combining comprehensive expertise in all facets of commercial diving, marine construction, and crane rental & rigging. We execute all of our projects with safety and integrity. Crofton is a growing company with a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment and with team members who work vigorously to meet our customer’s needs. No two days are the same! Crofton is seeking a Boat Captain to join our team.
This position is full-time and primarily local to the Hampton Roads Harbor. Day and hours are based on business necessity. This position frequently requires long hours, weekend work and some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
• The Boat Captain serves as the commander of the assigned vessel, in charge of overall safe operations, maintenance, crew accountability and productivity in moving barges and other vessels from one location to another.
• Adhere to the provisions of the Certificate of Inspection (COI).
• Compliance with applicable regulations; including but not limited to; OPA 90, Clean Water Act, 46 CFR, Subchapter M, Compliance with Company’s HSP, ensuring each crew member required to hold Merchant mariner Credentials (MMC) always have the credentials on board and available for examination.
• Review HSP on a regular basis and reporting on-conformities to shore based management.
• Contact shore-based management with questions or for assistance.
• Authority to determine if it is unsafe for the vessel to proceed, determine that the operation endangers the vessel or the crew, determine if an unsafe condition exist; If any of these determinations are made the Boat Captain has the authority and responsibility to ensure adequate corrective action is take, and must not proceed until safe to do so.
• Be a role model for safe behavior and planning safe activities.
• Conduct required safety drills including those for spills, man-overboard, fire and mayday.
• Maintains records of daily activities, movements, and ports-of-call, and prepares progress and personnel reports, and other related documentation.
• Conduct inspections of vessel to ensure seaworthy condition and arrange for maintenance and repair activities to correct any deficiencies as identified.
• Hold crew accountable for their adherence to maritime law, the policies of the company and their individual performance.
• Making multiple movements of material barges, crane barges, and or other vessels in the water channels of the Portsmouth Marine Terminal area.
• Commands workers on deck to rig towlines to barges or ship to be towed.
• Computes position, sets course, and determines speed, using charts, area plotting sheets, navigation devices, like radar, sonic depth finder, compass and sextant and aids to navigation, like lighthouses buoys.
• Steers tugboat to push or pull barges to destination and to berth and unberth ships, avoiding reefs, outlying shoals, and other hazards.
• Must have valid Master Captain License
• Knowledge of maritime practices
• Computer, organizational, and communications skills
• Must have basic firefighting skills and basic lifesaving and rescue techniques.
• Able to influence and motivate people to act.
• Thrives in a fast-paced and changing environment.
• Exhibit good judgment.
• Meets deadlines in an environment of interruption.
• Able to work effectively with many different personality types.
• Possess and demonstrate values of honesty, integrity, reliability and consistency.
• An effective planner and continually uses foresight.
• A good listener and communicator.
• Demonstrate professionalism at all times.
• Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work after hours and on weekends as necessary
• Ability to handle multiple projects and details simultaneously.
Education and Experience:
• Merchant Mariners Credentials (MMC) that includes 200 Ton Master or Mate of Towing
• TWIC Card
• Minim of 5 Years of experience to include towing experience.
• VSO, Vessel Security Officer
• Radar unlimited
• Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like.
• Small and/or Confined Spaces
• Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hand and/or fingers.
• Ability to see and respond to dangerous situations.
• Color correct vision
• Noisy Environments
• Ability to respond quickly to sounds.
• Able to traverse all areas of the jobsite in all types of weather; this may require walking, climbing, reaching, bending, crawling, or stretching.
Please refer to the Hiring Company website for additional information on this category.