JOB LOCATION: Virginia Beach, VA
JOB CATEGORY: Engineering
JOB STATUS: Full-time
JOB DESCRIPTION: Structural Planner/Estimator is responsible for the Planning/Estimating of repair items and ship alterations including work definition, material identification and cost, using drawings, technical documents, and NAVSEA Standard Items. Responsible for correct formatting of Work Items and Estimates in accordance with published directives.
- Taking all ship’s force Alteration installation Team (AIT) and shipyard work, including service and repair routines, modernization and preventative maintenance actions, and presenting as work requirement statements at the SWLIN and Line Item level
- Provide detailed cost estimates, to the paragraph and trade level, for developed work specifications and new work written by planners
- Maintains and manages cost estimating guide
- Conducts ship checks to validate repair/alteration information
- Provide estimates, based upon ship checks as feasible, for all solicitations assigned
- Conduct the development of schedules and material procurement lists for all tasks assigned
- Thoroughly review all work specifications and applicable reference materials to ensure a complete and accurate understanding of work scope requirements
- Works from technical drawings, design memos and sketches, then validates on site measurements for structural items such as supports, frames, foundations, and closures
- Perform shipboard inspections, review of technical data, provide labor and material estimates, document and maintain the Structural knowledge base data, write and review specifications
- Write and review Depot level 4E specifications for installing and modifying structures of ships that may include rolling, bending, cutting and otherwise shaping and joining plates, beams and other metal parts
- Perform shipboard inspections, review technical data, provide labor and material estimates, create and route Job, Material Lists, identify and or verify APL, NSN, Part Numbers and other material identification requirement necessary for accurate material requirement identification
- Analyzes blueprints, drawing packages, and other documentation to prepare time, labor and material estimates for both shop and shipboard efforts
- Prepares comparative estimates as a basis for selecting qualified subcontractors
- Responsible for the development of properly formatted 4E specifications/work items containing all required technical information and production information, by conducting ship-checks when necessary and review of applicable ship system drawings, blueprints and technical publications to gather necessary information for input into the Navy Maintenance Database (NMD) for subsequent review and approval by Government representatives
- Must be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Structural systems trade
- Must possess an overall understanding of modifying and repairing a variety of shipboard structural items and their components
- Must be an expert at writing and reviewing Depot level 4E specifications for installing and modifying structures of ships that may include rolling, bending, cutting and otherwise shaping and joining plates, beams, and other metal parts
- Must be knowledgeable of ship fitting and welding practices, NDT, rigging, deck covering, preservation and repairs to various synthetic materials used in construction of Naval Vessels
- Must have a comprehensive and thorough knowledge of the full range of principles, concepts, and practices related to surface combatant and carrier class ship repair and overhaul programs including ship modernization.
- Must have extensive knowledge and experience in NAVSEA Standard Items (NSI), JFMM VIII-4E, military and commercial specifications and standards, naval drawings, shipbuilding/ship repair practices and industrial processes to ensure the contractor provides requisite workmanship and documentation in compliance with contract requirements
- Working knowledge in the use of automated data processing equipment and various software programs mandated for government use for the preparation of work specifications during planning of shipbuilding, ship repair and modernization availabilities
- Expert in Navy Maintenance Database Basic Knowledge, if not familiar with the NMD program, must be a fast learner
- Knowledge and experience of technical writing to develop detailed reports, recommendations, planning documents and correspondence concerning labor conditions, production costs, methods, process and material costs related to the ship repair industry as well as government and local practices
- Evidence of experience or certification for the Structural SME position must be provided with application
- U.S. Navy surface Ship experience preferred
- Ability to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no more than 30 lbs.
- Ability to work on and climb US Navy Ship ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces.
- Must be able to conduct Ship Checks as required/desired by Management which may include travel, extended work hours and weekend/holiday work.
- Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
EDUCATION: A Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering or science field, or ten years of experience in the Naval Marine Engineering field holding responsible engineering related positions, plus successful completion of Naval schools such as the Naval Academy, a Merchant Marine Academy, or Military Class “A” or “C” school, which together with the experience will give the equivalency of a BS degree.
SECURITY CLEARANCE: This position requires US citizenship and will be subject to a security investigation, must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain, and maintain a Secret Clearance issued by the US Government. In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
EOE/M/F/D/V: Q.E.D. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled Welcome.
Job Contact Information: Submit resume for this position by email to Amelia Boudreau, firstname.lastname@example.org or Tiffany Ingalls, email@example.com.