NOTE: The following description is a GENERAL Overview of this career and not a description of a particular job posting.
The primary responsibility of a firewatch is to stand watch at an assigned location and identify and prevent any hazardous situations.
Typical Job Responsibilities include:
- Inspecting an area prior to any hot work being performed to ensure all flammable and combustible material have been removed
- Delivering all safety equipment (including appropriate fire extinguisher) to site
- Staying stationed in the work site such that they can respond quickly to prevent fires
- Conducting frequent inspections of the hot work areas during hot work to ensure area is still safe and working conditions are favorable
- Reporting fires and accidents to the officer of the deck and Firewatch Coordinator immediately
- Remaining in place for thirty minutes following work performed to clean area and to ensure work site conditions remain safe
High School Diploma preferred. Must complete Fire Watch training.
A firewatch must:
- Have the ability to carry out written and/or oral instructions
- Successfully complete a Fire Watch Training course
- Be able to wear safety equipment provided (i.e. self-contained breathing apparatus)
- Be able to work effectively as part of a field crew
- Be a steady and reliable worker
- Previous work within the maritime industry and familiarity with maritime terminology preferred
- Knowledge of hot work procedures preferred